The Stereo Receiver Won’t Turn On: 5 Common Reasons and Fixes!

Hey there! This post contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. But it never influences our product selection process.

In the mode of listening to music, you’re trying to turn on your stereo receiver. But it’s not turning on? And you’re thinking, what’s wrong?

No worries, this can even be caused for some silly reason. Keep calm and find out here with us. So, the stereo receiver won’t turn on?

This mainly happens with the wire connection problem. A power interruption can be caused by a wire connection problem. When the stereo receiver doesn’t get a power connection, it doesn’t turn on. There are some other reasons why this can happen. Overheating can be another reason behind this issue. 

Want to find out the reason why this problem is happening? You may get the solution after going through this article. 

Let’s start with the problem and solution.

5 Reasons Why Your Stereo Receiver Won’t Turn On 

stereo receiver won't turn on

There can be many reasons for the stereo receiver not turning on. Here we’ll discuss the 5 most common reasons.

Similarly, Yamaha receivers won’t power on for similar problems. 

Before going to the discussion, let’s have a look at the troubleshooting table. 

Power Cable ProblemsChange the cable. 
Overheating Using an external cooler solves internal transistor damage.
Lack of ventilationEnsures enough ventilation
Lack of voltageEnsure enough voltage
Transistor Damage Change transistor 

This table will help you to find the exact problem easily. 

For the anthem receiver, the same problem can happen.

Now, let’s move on to a brief discussion of the reasons and solutions. 

Reason 1 of 5: Power Cable Problems

Power Cable Problems

To find out if a power cable problem happens or not, you’ve got to remove the cable. After removing the cable, check the cable. Check if there is any cable lick or not. 

You can also test the light indicator screwdriver to check if the cable is OK or not.

The power cable issue is the main reason why your stereo receiver doesn’t turn on. Sometimes power cables can burn out from the inside. 

It can also be licked and disconnected from the inside because of accidental stretching. 

This is why the power supply is interrupted. Due to a power supply interruption, your stereo receiver can’t turn on.


If a power cable problem happens, then you may need to change your power cable. You can also cut from where the cable connection broke. And join it again. 

Your problem will be solved after joining the cable. A new cable connection could be a better solution in this regard.

Reason 2: Overheating

When your stereo receiver is not getting on, you can check the heat. Put your hand on it. If you feel your stereo receiver is overheating, then it’s the reason why it’s getting started. 

Overheating can cause different types of problems. And the most severe problem is not turning on. 

Overuse is another reason for overheating. Inconsistent voltage issues can also cause overheating.

Overheating is not a specific problem. For multiple reasons, overheating causes. Sometimes your power IC can be damaged by this issue. 

IC damage causes your stereo receiver to stop working. Except for the IC issue, many other internal damages can cause overheating.


As overheating doesn’t happen for any specific issue, that’s why you must try multiple ways.

First, you’ve got to ensure that you’re putting your stereo receiver in a well-ventilated place. And let it be cooler. And after that, try to turn it on.

If this doesn’t work then, you’ve ensured consistent voltage. Even after ensuring the consistent voltage, your problem is not solved. Then it’s IC or any other internal issue. 

In this case, you’ve contacted the service. 

Reason 3: Lack Of Ventilation

Normally, lacking proper light and air does not look like a big problem for the stereo receiver. But the lack of proper ventilation can cause them to stop working. 

In low light and air, overheating, IC damage, and internal fire can happen.  

Mostly, the low-air stereo receiver becomes overheated, and that finally drives them to internal fire.

It can damage any part of an electric device. The internal connection can be lost because of this issue. 


To resolve this issue, Keep your stereo receiver in a properly ventilated place. Ensure proper light and air. But remember to keep it out of direct sunlight.

As you can understand, sunlight can make it even more overheated. Besides keeping it in a properly ventilated place, put it out of the dust. 

Dust can cause further damage. After keeping it in a properly ventilated place, try to turn it on. 

It’ll work if no broad internal damage doesn’t happen. For a more severe issue, you’ve got to go to an expert for service. 

Reason 4: Lack of Voltage

Lack of voltage can be another reason why your stereo receiver is not turning on. There is certainly enough voltage to operate any electric device.

Anything lower than that can cause issues like not turning on. Lack of voltage can cause other internal damage.


Lack of voltage sometimes happens from the main source. In this case, you’ve got to wait for normal voltage. 

To protect your device from inconsistent voltage, you can use a voltage stabilizer. It’ll let you operate your electric device in a lower or higher voltage situation. 

Make sure you don’t try to turn it on when the voltage is very low. It can completely damage your device.

Reason 5: Transistor Damage 

stereo system won't turn on

A transistor is one of the main components of an electric device. The damage to the transistor can cause the electronic device to stop working. 

Several transistors convert the electronic signal into power. And that’s how the transistor operates your stereo receiver.  

Because of the transistor damage, your device can stop working totally. 


Because of the damage to the transistor, there is nothing to do at home. Except if you don’t know much about the circuit, it’s better not to try anything at home.

For transistor damage, you can call for the service.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

How Do You Know If Your Receiver Is Blown?

There are two methods to know if your stereo receiver is blown. One is from the sound. After switching on your stereo receiver, you will hear the sound. If you hear no sound coming out or the sound is distorted, then it’s blown. Another way to find out is with a light indicator. 

Are There Fuses In Stereo Receivers?

Yes, there are one or two fuses in a stereo receiver. Some stereo receivers have a fuse outside of the back of them. And this type of fuse can be removed easily and can be repaired easily if needed. Some other stereos have a fuse inside the case. To remove this fuse, you’ve got to first unscrew the case.

How Do You Know If A Fuse Is Blown On A Receiver?

To know the fuse has blown on a receiver means the receiver won’t be able to turn on. It can even make your receiver overheat. Some fuses are easy to remove and inspect. You can easily remove the fuse from the receiver and see if it’s burned out or not. Or even if you can see some changes in it.


Well, we’re about to close the discussion here. Hopefully, now you know why your stereo receiver won’t turn on.

We’ll be grateful if you let us know your experience with this article. Most common issues that can make your stereo receiver stop working we’ve discussed. 

To make an electronic device more durable, handle it with care. 

Stay Blessed!

Similar Posts

One Comment

  1. Bruce Haugh says:

    I had gone through troubleshooting steps for my Anthem MRX-710 that would turn off immediately after being turned on. If I blew a hair dryer in side, the unit would turn on. I found the area of the circuit board with the problem, touched up solder joints, replaced a pair of electrolytic capacitors (one was 620 uF versus the listed 2200 uF). It still shut down. More troubleshooting eventually pointed to a faulty voltage regulator. Frustrating part was trying to identify it. The part number didn’t come up anywhere. I posted on an electrical engineering site where someone responded of another person with similar issues. I followed his link and it turned out the exact same receiver with the exact same problem. Somehow he was able to find a cross reference to replace the voltage regulator. Now I can repair my receiver.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *